Sunday, July 02, 2006

Midwinter Blues (and greens and yellows and reds)

This is a collage (thanks, Picasa 2) of my fabric which I'm posting as I am completely uncreative at present (apart from knitting). I was offered a job (a REAL job, that is) which I started this week, so earning a living will be featuring rather highly in my life over the winter. I spend mornings from 8 till 12 at the office (may as well use their power and heating) and then go home (all of several minutes' drive away) to work on my business. It's working out well - the job is in financial services, which I've done for nearly 12 years now, and because it's commission-based, I can work as little or as much as I choose. I love the freedom of that, and it suits me down to the ground. After 8 months of working at home (or not working for some of it), it's taken a few days to get into the rhythm of dressing for work but I've got a routine worked out now. Posted by Picasa

8 comments:

Maureen said...

Love the collage Shirley.and good luck in juggling your two jobs!

Françoise said...

Good luck with your new job!
Regards.

Helen said...

that sounds ideal! I guess you'll have to be disciplined about your afternoon work at home, but I'm sure it will be worth it.
Enjoy!

Emmy said...

I hope the job is agood job and you wil have a great time

Deb Hardman said...

I feel sad to think you can't stay home & create all the time. I guess because it's what I most want to do, but can't yet.
I hope you enjoy the job, & can find the time to do your art too!
Good luck Shirley!

Zaz said...

wow - now a proper worker!! ;-) hope the job is going well - but it must not interfere with your creative-ability!! I love your dyed fabrics .............

and the collage!

Catherine - Mixed Media Artist said...

congratulations on your new job. it will mean I guess that you will have a regular income so you will not be hamstrung completely to make a living from textiles. And give you a little more freedom and time to explore where that $$-fruit can come from.

i on the other hand will be going down another path in 2007 and am in process of getting things sorted. you can read how/what/where at my blog if you are interested.

actually although I'm busy with this new project I have found a bit of time to weave and do some textile things of late.

Digitalgran said...

Congratulations on your new job Shirley. Does this mean your ankle is almost back to normal? I do hope so.
I really enjoyed the course today, it is all quite simple really, you just use synthetic materials, a soldering iron and a ruler with a few templates. a really hot, sharp point is needed and it seals the pieces together as well as any sewing machine.