Sunday, November 12, 2006

Part 3 (this is in reverse, so go read the first part first)

Place your wrapped skein in an ice-cream or similar plastic container (but not one you eat from). Microwave for 2 minutes on high, let sit for 2 minutes, then microwave for 2 minutes on high again. It's recommended that you don't use the family microwave for this, but if you're only doing an occasional skein, I doubt that it'll kill anyone. However, you've been warned. You're supposed to wait till it cools, but who has that amount of willpower? I toss the bundle straight into the sink, into cold water, and rip off the wrap. This can burn so be careful. There should be no dye bleeding out, it'll all be absorbed into the wool. Squeeze the excess water out gently, then place it on your chair to photograph so your butt will get wet when you sit down next.
At this point, you may be thinking it looks pretty wild and garish, and why did you put those colours together? Rest assured that when it dries and you reskein it, it'll look much better.
Her are the other 2 skeins I did.
They're all hanging up to dry (on a towel on the back of a chair, if you have to know), so I'll post a photograph of how they look when they're all dry and beautiful. Posted by Picasa

2 comments:

Kat said...

I have been told to put in a chopped up potato into the microwave for a couple of minutes to absorb any nasties left in the microwave. In the days of only having one microwave I never managed to dye any food or kill my husband witht the dual use.

Lorraine said...

Yummy - yarn and food! So cool. I would love to start dying yarn but with 4 kidlets in the house, that would invite too much help (i.e. disaster in the making). Keep the great pics coming so I can live vicariously thru you.