Thursday, September 27, 2007

Let there be light

Because the former master bedroom is now my studio/office ( and a complete mess that I'm far too embarrassed to show anyone), I have made the downstairs bedroom the main one. It has its own bathroom, which is a plus, and means that guests have their bedrooms and own bathroom upstairs. I bought a free-standing wardrobe as the room had none, and yesterday, I had a skylight installed. The room is at the back of the house and the existing windows face south (that's the undesirable way, for northern hemisphere readers) so it didn't get any sun.

Now the cats have sun in the afternoons, and here they are enjoying it. The down side is that it lets a considerable amount of light into the room at night, and I found it quite hard to sleep last night. If I can't get used to it, I may have to make a little curtain for it at night. Maybe even tasteful surface designed ones!

After 4 weeks here, I'm really enjoying Rangiora. I still don't have a day job but I'm close to sorting that. In the meantime, I'm concentrating on my little business Tillia Dyes to bring in a few dollars to keep me afloat.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Nice going and the photos look great - glad you like it up there in Canterbury. I think I'd prefer it over Oamaru too.

Cheers

Suzi-k said...

the skylight is a great idea, a dark south facing room can be so depressing! what about making light wooden hinged shutters to clip back on either side against the roof beams, and clip closed at night for the light? don't know if that will fit. also, a strip of beading on either side of the window to form a sort of L shaped channel, with a roman blind that runs up and down in the channel, could work, it will hold it against the angled wall and stop light coming through the edges.