Sunday, April 13, 2008

Random stitch'n'paint

I took a fat quarter of PFD white fabric and folded it in half - because I couldn't be bothered backing it. When I have a creative urge, I just want to GET ON WITH IT. Then I stitched it randomly with textured stitches with my Janome 6500P. I played with stitch sizing a bit, but it was very random.
Then I painted it with leftover dyes. There were only 4 colours, and I was dyeing onto dry fabric. To fill the gaps, I diluted some colours and put a wash over the white bits. I quite like the effect - it's quite different. I may do some more of this, in a less random way.
Posted by Picasa

5 comments:

Purple Missus said...

What a great effect you achieved here Shirley.
Maybe its the randomness that is so appealing. Will it have the same WOW factor if it is too structured? Well worth going further with this one.

Wil said...

It is wonderful Shirley! I have not done this technique, but it is one I want to play with:-)

Françoise said...

It's beautiful Shirley!
I have never tried this yet.

susan sorrell said...

That looks so cool Shirley!! Great job! :)
susan
www.creativechick.com

susan said...

i havent done much stiching when i dye fabric but i just might have to give it a try...going to dye some major yardage tomarrow. first time in about a year, and first time in new house...well, its old but new to me :-)