Sunday, July 20, 2008

Happy Birthday Nelson Mandela

The world needs more people like you.

The other day, I was looking at Neki's blog A Moveable Feast, and I was entranced by her sand paintings. The website where she did these is currently unavailable, so I haven't put a link to it, but at the time, I went and played with the sand and it was great fun. I made a landscape with different coloured mountains but couldn't work out (I was supposed to be working at the time!) how to save it.

So, recognising yesterday that my blog has been a bit short on fibre and dye content lately, due to it being mid-winter and knitting being my main creative activity, I made this:

It's made from the small rectangles of monoprinted fabric that I made some months ago. I put Vliesofix on the back of them, then randomly cut them into wedges and fused them onto a background. I'm not really sure where I'm going next with this, but it needs more work yet.

3 comments:

neki desu said...

Glad you enjoyed sandplaying!
and thanks for the link

neki desu

wooldancer said...

hey, thanks for popping by by blog.. this piece is beautiful - i love the layers of colour you have there.. i'd be keen to learn more about monoprinting! fusing looks great fun too! how do you do this?

sharon young said...

What a great explosion of colour, Shirley, it looks great, and the chevrons really enhance the whole colour experience.