Monday, February 28, 2011

Getting back to normal

 My degree course is in Visual Arts, and one of my classes involves drawing organic objects.  I have never had any training in art, so this stuff is pretty challenging for me.  Here's a rose stem I drew on Thursday.  I missed most of the Tuesday class due to the earthquake - I couldn't concentrate after I received the text from Sophie saying she was stuck in her building, so went home.  Now I need to get more drawings done to catch up.
I went shopping on Saturday morning - restorative shopping, that is, as opposed to shopping for necessities.  I bought some yarn I wouldn't normally buy (it's acrylic) but I really liked the colours, and it's boucle so has plenty of texture and only a simple stitch is needed. I've stopped watching the TV footage of the quake as I find it too stressful  Instead, I watched DVDs over the weekend, and knitted this stocking stitch scarf.  I'll just knit to the end of the ball which should make a good-sized scarf, and then make a hat and gloves or mittens from the 2nd ball.  Like many handcrafts, knitting is soothing so always makes me feel better.

4 comments:

Julie said...

You're right to avoid the images and news Shirley, you've been through enough. The wool looks luscious, beautiful colours and it looks nice and soft. I always find hand sewing soothing too and it fills your mind so you don't think of other stuff.

Leeann said...

Rose is good, I'm looking forward to seeing more.

Nancy J said...

Loved the roses, and I'm sure your talent for the art section of the course will shine through.Colours in the scarf are shining, a glimmer in the dark days after the quake.Hope all your friends in Lyttelton and Rangiora are safe. Take care in Invers, as it is sometimes called.xxx

Jan Mac said...

I love the knitted scarf too Shirley. What yarn is it? I'm working with Cat from Catalina's Cottage in Auckland to donated finished quilts to Christchurch. I was away when you ran the Pike River quilt appeal so I'm happy to be abkle to help our Kiwi friends.