Saturday, March 26, 2011

Summer in Provence

Back here, in mid November, I posted about dyeing fabric for a quilt called "Summer in Provence".  This was just before the quilts for Pike River miners' families took over my life (over 8,800 blocks to date - amazing, huh?).

Now that the National Quilting Symposium is only 3 weeks away and my Pfaff has ostensibly (but not actually) been repaired, I have decided to complete this as the quilt that I can show in the Tutors' exhibition.
Naturally, I am again having tension problems.  I have decided not to make the quilt as shown in the pattern, just put together the 9 squares.  This may, or may not, happen, depending on my machines.  I will try to keep calm, and hunt for the Janome cords and foot, although this machine was also giving me tension problems before I moved.

Before the Pfaff tension bombed out, I DID manage to do so stitching on the Rust Madonna that I made some time back.  I want to enter it in an exhibition at a local art gallery - previously, a friend had insisted strenuously that I not stitch it but now she is no longer on the scene, I will do as I please - which is what the piece needs.

Here's the Madonna plain and unadorned, just fused and with drawn features.

And here she is again, with some stitching that I think greatly improves her.  You may have to click on the photo to see it.  

4 comments:

The Idaho Beauty said...

Agreed. Adding stitch is already starting to transform this. Very lovely.

loulee said...

I hope those machines behave themselves.

Ali Honey said...

Yes, it needs the stitching - keep going if your machines allow.
Wish I was joining you in 3 weeks...but am saving for our big trip. One lady from our group is coming down that I know of. Enjoy.

KathyB said...

This is very lovely, and I so agree. The stitching adds so much! Love the ambiguity of your composition! I work with much smaller fabric pieces, and then add stitches as another element in the design. Please stop by and see what I'm creating with even the smallest scraps. http://kbartdesigns.com